Swanmore became a civil parish, following the passing of the Parish Councils Act in 1894. Amenities available in the towns gradually spread to the villages, but Swanmore was content for some time to use oil lamps, wood stoves and privies as well as water from wells or pumps.
Pavements were not general until the 1960s. Mains water was available from 1903 but the parish was reluctant to incur the cost of installation until 1921. Gas and electricity both arrived in the 1930s, but mains sewerage was not installed until the 1960s. Dustmen did not arrive in the village until 1943.
With all amenities available, village life grew more attractive and in the 1970s Swanmore grew faster than in any previous decade. The rise of the motor car meant that shops closed and bus services declined or disappeared. In this period a new secondary school was built for the district, becoming comprehensive in 1973, and the much-loved corrugated iron Village Hall, formerly the British Legion Hall, was replaced by a new one, opened in 1980.
Finally, the old Parish Room was sold, to be replaced in the late 1980s by the Paterson Centre, named to commemorate the ministry of the Rev Ron Paterson, Vicar from 1962-85 and three members of his family who died whilst he was vicar.
Swanmore today is home to over 3000 people.
Swanmore Village Hall